Grace Morse McNelis has over 25 years’ experience advocating for the interests of healthcare providers in a variety of settings. Her practice includes the defense of state medical malpractice claims, Department of Health Professions investigations and medical credentialing disputes, and representation of the unique needs of correctional health-care professionals with a focus on the defense of 42 USC §1983 constitutional law claims.
Before entering the practice of law, Ms. Morse McNelis was a registered nurse who provided staff leadership as well as direct patient care in the home health environment as well as in the acute care setting where she gained a foundational understanding of telemetry and cardiac medicine, principles of wound care, and the ICU. In each matter, Ms. Morse McNelis applies her nursing acumen along with her extensive legal experience to provide customized representation to clients, and consistently achieves successful outcomes in all of her practice areas. Her goal through zealous advocacy is to ensure that each client receives the best outcome possible.
She was recently recognized as a “Go-To Lawyer” for Medical Malpractice in the Virginia Lawyers Weekly, as well as “Legal Elite” for Health Care law in Virginia Business magazine.
Ms. Morse McNelis also enjoys delivering presentations on topics bridging medicine and the law to her bar colleagues in addition to health care providers and other organizations, and has also authored a number of publications including a chapter entitled “The Law and Liability Issues” in Legal Nurse Consulting: Principles & Practices, 4th Edition.
- University of Florida (Bachelor of Science, Nursing)
University of San Diego (J.D.)
Areas of Practice:
- Correctional Medicine – Defense
- Defense of Health Care Providers in Federal Claims
- Medical Malpractice and Healthcare Law Defense
- Virginia Board of Medicine Investigations
- Florida (inactive)
- California (inactive)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia
Professional Honors, Affiliations and Activities:
- Member – The American Association of Nurse Attorneys
- Member – Virginia Bar Association
Member – Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Member – Richmond Bar Association