Andy Gerrish focuses his practice on civil litigation, particularly in the areas of insurance defense; insurance coverage; premises liability; legal malpractice; professional liability; community associations; and architect, engineer, and contractor liability.
Before joining Frith Anderson + Peake, Andy clerked for the judges of the First Judicial Circuit of Virginia in Chesapeake, Virginia, and the judges of the Twenty-third Judicial Circuit of Virginia in Roanoke, Virginia.
Andy is a two-time graduate of Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia. He graduated magna cum laude with a Bachelor of Science degree in psychology and he graduated magna cum laude with a Juris Doctor degree from the Washington and Lee University School of Law. While in law school, Andy was the Executive Editor of the Washington and Lee Law Review and a member of the Order of the Coif. Andy was also honored with the American Bankruptcy Institute Medal of Excellence and the Third-Year Law-Related Service Award at graduation.
- Washington and Lee University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif)
- Executive Editor, Washington and Lee Law Review
- Washington and Lee University (B.S., magna cum laude)
Areas of Practice:
- Architect & Engineer Errors & Omissions
- Auto, Boating & Recreational Vehicle Liability
- Coverage Analysis and Opinions
- Legal Malpractice
- Premises Liability
- Professional Liability
- Medical Malpractice
- United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- The Right to Confer with Your Client During a Deposition: No Bright-Line Rules, 27 J. Civ. Litig. 353 (2015).
- Note,Terror CATs: TRIA’s Failure to Encourage a Private Market for Terrorism Insurance and How Federal Securitization of Terrorism Risk May Be a Viable Alternative, 68 Wash & Lee L. Rev. 1825 (2011).
Professional Honors, Affiliations and Activities:
- Member – Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Member of the 2017 Annual Meeting Committee
- Member – Virginia State Bar Lawyer Insurance Committee
- Eighth District Representative – Virginia State Bar Young Lawyers Conference
- 2020 Virginia State Bar Young Lawyers Conference Significant Service Award
- Director – Apple Ridge Farm, Roanoke, Virginia
- Director – Community Youth Program, Roanoke, Virginia
- Former Director and Chair of the Young Lawyers Committee – Roanoke Bar Association
- Volunteer – Blue Ridge Legal Hotline
- 2020 Roanoke Bar Association Young Lawyer of the Year