Macel Janoschka defends companies and individuals in state and federal courts throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia and employers and insurers before the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission and the Virginia Court of Appeals.
She focuses her practice on civil litigation, particularly in the areas of insurance defense, medical malpractice, premises liability, automobile liability and workers’ compensation. Macel has obtained defense verdicts in multiple jurisdictions throughout Virginia. She has been named one of Virginia SuperLawyers “Rising Stars” annually since 2013. In 2016 Macel was honored by Virginia Lawyers Media as a member of the Inaugural Class of Up and Coming Attorneys. She was named the Roanoke Bar Association’s Young Lawyer of the Year in 2017. She was named to the Roanoker Magazine’s list of 40 under 40 in the Roanoke Valley in 2020. She was also named a 2020 Leader in the Law by Virginia Lawyers Weekly.
- University of South Carolina School of Law (J.D.)
- Articles Editor, Real Property, Probate and Trust Journal
- Virginia Tech (B.A.)
Areas of Practice:
- Auto, Boating & Recreational Vehicle Liability
- Long Term Care/Nursing Home Litigation
- Medical Malpractice and Healthcare Law
- Premises Liability/Products Liability/Dangerous/Defective Products
- Workers’ Compensation
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- Co-author, “The Insured’s Duty to Give Timely Notice Under a Virginia Liability Insurance Policy”, Journal of Civil Litigation, Summer 2010.
- Co-author, “When are Your Premises “Vacant” for Purposes of Insurance Coverage?” Journal of Civil Litigation, Spring 2008.
- Co-author, “The Law of Damages in Virginia”, Chapter 11, Punitive Damages (2nd ed. 2008).
- Speaker, “How to Try a GDC Case,” Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys’ Young Lawyers Boot Camp, December 4, 2020.
- Moderator, Roanoke Bar Association’s 2020 Bench-Bar Conference, February 28, 2020.
- Moderator, Roanoke Bar Association’s 2016 Bench-Bar Conference, February 26, 2016.
- Speaker, “Discovery Issues: Surveillance and Social Media,” Advanced Workers Compensation Seminar, October 9, 2015.
- Guest Speaker, “Networking,” Virginia Tech College of Liberal Arts & Science Professional Development course, November 5, 2014.
- Speaker, “Post-Accident Primary,” Decision 2009: Virginia Employment Law Caucus presented by Gentry Locke Rakes & Moore, April 9 & 16, 2008.
Professional Honors, Affiliations and Activities:
- Faculty – Virginia State Bar’s Harry L. Carrico Professionalism Course
- Member – 2020 Class of Virginia Lawyers Weekly’s Leaders in the Law
- Member – 2016 Inaugural Class of Virginia Lawyers Weekly’s Up and Coming Attorneys
- Recipient – Virginia State Bar Young Lawyers Conference Outstanding Service Award (2009)
- Board of Governors – Virginia State Bar Young Lawyers’ Conference (2010-2014)
- VSB/VBA Joint ADR Committee, Young Lawyer Liaison (2014- 2015)
- Former Chair – Virginia State Bar Young Lawyers’ Conference Southern Virginia Minority Pre-Law Conference
- Former Chair – Virginia State Bar Young Lawyers’ Conference Women and Minorities in the Profession Commission
- Member – Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Roanoker Magazine’s 2020 Class of 40 Under 40
- Roanoke Bar Association 2017 Young Lawyer of the Year
- Board of Directors – Roanoke Bar Association (2014-present)
- President-Elect (2020-present)
- Board of Trustees – Roanoke Law Foundation
- Member – City of Salem Economic Development Authority (2019-present)
- Board of Directors – Mill Mountain Theatre (2016-present)
- President (2019-2021)
- Board of Directors – Family Service of Roanoke Valley (2014-2018)
- Board of Directors, Junior League of Roanoke Valley (2011-2014)
- President (2013-2014)
- Past Member – Ted Dalton American Inn of Court (2013-2016)
- Graduate, Hollins University Batten Leadership Institute- Certificate in Professional Leadership